South Leicestershire College praised by Ofsted Inspectors
Wednesday 7th January 2015
- Ofsted judged the college as Good
- College praised by inspectors for high success rates and dramatically improved English and Maths results
- Pace of change in the college is ‘dramatic’
- College was previously graded ‘Requires improvement’
Staff, governors and students at South Leicestershire College are celebrating following a successful Ofsted Inspection visit.
The college welcomed a team of HM Inspectors at the South Wigston Campus in November 2014. The College was being inspected against a new, much-tougher, inspection framework.
Led by Marion Plant OBE, the college has been formally federated with North Warwickshire & Hinckley College and the rate of improvement has been dramatic under the new leadership structure.
Over the course of a week, the inspectors spent time with students, staff, governors and college partners, such as employers, to make an assessment of the college.
Inspectors observed lessons throughout the college and the workplace to judge the quality of teaching, learning and assessment; they considered the college’s results and its success in preparing students for work or further study and evaluated the effectiveness of leadership and management.
The report highlighted and praised many aspects of the College including the following:
- Success rates on most courses including apprenticeships and work-based provision are high and increasing and the outcomes of pupils aged 14 to16 are good
- Teachers successfully promote the improvement of students’ English and mathematics skills which has increased the success rates for functional skills and the proportion of students achieving grade A*- C GCSE has dramatically improved since the previous inspection and are now good. These results are amongst the best in the country
- Teaching, learning and assessment are good and well-qualified and vocationally-experienced teachers have high expectations of their students and support them well
- Students make good progress in most lessons
- Governors, leaders and managers have made significant and sustained improvement since the previous inspection
- Strategic priorities for the college are clear and match well the priorities of the locality and region
College Principal and Chief Executive, Marion Plant OBE, said: “We are delighted to have been judged by Ofsted as a very Good college. Inspectors were extremely pleased to see the fast pace of change at South Leicestershire College, and as a result, we have secured a top end Good grade. Our students, partners and communities deserve the very best in education and training and we believe this judgement demonstrates our commitment to being the best college in the area.
“We are a college with big ambitions for our students and communities - and feel that the inspection report is testament to the hard work of the whole of our college. We are extremely thankful to all the students, our dedicated staff, local and regional employers and our governing body who spoke so positively to inspectors about their experience of working with us.
“The inspection outcome demonstrates our journey to becoming an Outstanding college is well underway, and the result renews our confidence that we are heading in the right direction. We are clearly achieving real results for our students in terms of their ambition, their academic achievement and their prospects in life and employment.”
Chair of Governors, Toni Fazaeli, added: “The inspection outcome is a great achievement for the College, and crucially for our local employers and community. The College's success is a clear reflection of the dedication of the College's staff and students. I would like to thank all students, staff, fellow governors and college partners for their ongoing support of the College in our relentless focus on excellent quality.”
A copy of the inspection report can be downloaded here.
Print this page