Want to hire an Apprentice but unsure where to start?
Debbie Scotton, Business Development Manager at North Warwickshire and South Leicestershire College takes us through the 5 key steps.
Choose your framework or standard
To begin with, you’ll need to choose your framework or standard – these refer to the programme that the Apprentice will complete.
The current Apprenticeship frameworks are being replaced with new standards. Over the next few years there will be a crossover period.
You will also need to decide which level to offer the Apprenticeship at, for example Level 2 (equivalent to five GCSEs at A-C) or Level 3 (equivalent to two A Levels).
Find an organisation that offers training for the apprenticeship framework or standard you’ve chosen.
Here at the College, we provide Apprenticeships across a wide range of sectors, including:
Check what funding is available
Each Apprenticeship standard is placed into one of 15 upper limits ranging from £1,500 to £27,000. Employers and training providers negotiate costs within these limits.
If you don’t pay into the Apprenticeship levy (i.e. if your annual PAYE bill in under £3million) you pay 10% towards the cost of training and assessing your apprentice, the government will pay the remaining 90% directly to your chosen training provider.
You will then agree a payment schedule.
You could be eligible for extra funding depending on both your and your apprentice’s circumstances.
Advertise your apprenticeship
As part of our recruitment service, we will advertise your vacancy through the .gov ‘find and Apprenticeship’ service. We will also search our current talent pool for potential matches.
Select your apprentice
Once you have selected your Apprentice, we will work with you to make an apprenticeship agreement and commitment statement.
We will then arrange you Apprenticeship training and provide ongoing support from an assessor.
Debbie added: “It’s not just new recruits – Apprenticeships are an ideal way to upskill current staff members.
Click here to find out more about hiring an Apprentice, contact the College’s Business Development Team: email@example.com 0116 264 3545.
Publication date: Wednesday 10th January 2018