Apprenticeships: back to basics

Joan Coe, Executive Director at North Warwickshire and South Leicestershire College takes it back to basics and discusses why Apprenticeships are a great training option for local businesses.

The basics

“Apprentices are work-based learning programmes that allow learners to gain a qualification whilst working as a paid employee. They are available to current and new employees and start at GCSE or equivalent up to degree level.

“Apprentices work for at least 30 hours per week and training for their qualification takes place either at work or in College for a minimum of 20% of the hours they work.

“Apprenticeships take between 1-5 years to complete depending on the level, sector and the learner’s prior skills.”

What is required from the employer?

“As part of their programme, Apprentices must:

“As a training option, Apprenticeships provide businesses with a low cost way to really develop talent, whether they are looking to train current staff members or recruit new employees.

“For those businesses whose annual PAYE bill is under £3 million, they will only pay 10% of the training with the Government co-investing the remaining 90%. Additional incentives are also available for small businesses with fewer than 50 employees.”

“As a training provider we work with small, medium and large businesses across the region, designing Apprenticeship programmes to meet specific training needs.”

Click here to find out more about Apprenticeships and funding available, email business.development@slcollege.ac.uk or call 0116 264 3545.