Information, Advice & Guidance
Last updated: Tuesday 24th October 2017
While you are making decisions about your future, our Customer Service Team are a useful point of contact. They offer advice on all aspects of student life including course choice and fees, entry requirements, progression routes and careers. They will also refer you to our Admissions Team should you require any further information regarding enrolment, financial support and childcare.
You can call our Customer Service Team on 0116 264 3535 to discuss any of the above or to book a one-to-one appointment to speak to one of the advisors in person.
We understand that your time at college is precious and we want to help you make the right decisions when planning your future. Our dedicated team of Careers Advisors are here to help you. You can seek careers advice and guidance before starting, during or finishing your course to help you make the right decisions.
Pictured here is Chris Nixon, Careers Adviser
We provide free impartial information, advice and guidance in a number of ways:
- Are you thinking of studying at college? We can help you to decide on the most suitable course for you.
- We can help you produce an action plan to help you to consider your career options.
- Would you like help to access a range of careers information?
- Support to help you apply for a job, including help to complete an Application Form, CV, Interview Techniques and Job Ready skills
- Would you like help to apply for a Voluntary Work position?
The IAG Team
- Offer an unbiased, confidential and professional service to all learners
- Complete an Action Plan with each learner with agreed SMART action points
- Achieve 90% Good or Very Good in our monthly feedback on how clients rate the service
- Offer at least 3 full interview slots a day which learners can book onto
- See at least 20 learners a month for IAG sessions
- Get help in choosing the right course at University/ College
- Information and advice on completing the UCAS application form
- Stand out from the crowd with advice on writing your personal statement
- Financial advice on the cost of Higher Education
As well as one-to-one interviews, the Careers Team also:
- Offer group work in tutorials
- Arrange presentations from external organisations
- Organise Careers and Higher Education events throughout the year
Many of our students have placements as part of their course; others have part-time work whilst at SLC. Our Careers Advisers can help you to job search, including help with CVs, Application Forms and Interview Techniques.
Print this page