Governance and The Corporation
Last updated: Tuesday 23rd February 2016
What are We?
We are a further education corporation established by the Further and Higher Education Act 1992. The powers of the Further Education Corporations are detailed in this Act, as amended by the Learning and Skills Act 2000, the Further Education and Training Act 2007 and the Education Act 2011.
We are an exempt charity. Our principal regulator is the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills.
A corporation is a legal term describing a number of people working together as if they were one person. A corporation carries on working as a succession of new people replace those who retire or resign. The people making up the corporation are referred to as ‘Members’.
We have set up five committees which meet regularly. The committees deal with specific parts of our work. Those committees are the:
- Audit Committee
- Finance, Income Generation & Risk Committee (formerly called the Finance Committee until March 2015)
- Quality & Standards Committee
- Remuneration Committee
- Search & Governance Committee
Corporation Structure and Membership
All our committees have agreed terms of reference. These terms of reference are set out in the Standing Orders.
What Do We Do?
As a Further Education Corporation we are concerned with governing our College.
The documents which set out the membership of our Corporation and what we need to do to govern the College are the:
The Instrument and Articles of Government sets out our six main responsibilities. These are to:
- determine the type of education our College delivers and its strategic direction
- oversee what the College does
- approve the quality strategy
- use College resources efficiently and effectively, safeguard College assets and make sure the College remains solvent
- approve the budget
- agree the terms and conditions of service of the Principal, senior members of staff and the Clerk to the Corporation
- set a framework for the pay and conditions of all other staff.
We work very closely with our Principal and her Executive Team to carry out these responsibilities.
Print this page